Garfield!!!

Calvin and Hobbes!!!

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Indian Hospitality

A few days ago, I boarded flight LH 952 from Frankfurt to Bangalore. (rather Bengaluru) It felt great - the fact that I would be home in less than 12 hours. The time I spent in Europe was excellent but one thing I missed was the feeling of being at home. Those of you who've been away from home for an extended period of time (like in a hostel with bad food, water shortages and 100% humidity) will probably know how I felt on my way back.
What I didn't anticipate was a plane full (it certainly felt that way) of noisy NRI kids with blatantly unconcerned mothers. (and fathers) Most unfortunately, our flight was a connection between the USA and India. And these little terrors were on their first visit to India. Now I quite understand the inability of children (being one myself) to keep still but my understanding went right out the window when it came to their mothers. (Most of you would probably be saying - "there he goes ranting incoherently again". Hold on for a few sentences and I'll explain.)
There was one particularly ghastly kid who had the most annoying, drawling accent. He insisted on meeting every other kid nearby. Questions like "Whaaat is yur naaame" or "Whaaat is yur mom's naaame" must have been repeated at least a hundred times. All this while I was trying my hardest to sleep. Once the introduction between the kids was over, the racket really began. Game-boys and other noisy contraptions were switched on. Amidst several beeps, boops and other sounds, I could still hear the same kid going on "How diiid I diiieee?". It lasted for two torturous hours before the air-hostess (god bless her soul!) came and put an end to the bedlam.
OK, so where do the mothers come in? Well, they were right next to these kids. All they did was look at their beautiful, darling devils and go back to sleep without a word. They didn't realize that none of the others on board wished to hear a nine-year-old's exploits at a god-damn video game.
Their apathy got me thinking. And then I realized the root cause of the problem. We're just too accommodating. We always feel that there's place for one more person. Children have to be tolerated by all and sundry. After all, they're kids. Discipline and basic civic sense can wait while we perennially adjust.
This sense of Indian hospitality is great in some ways. In fact, I love India for it. However, at 37000 ft, in a 25 ft wide cabin, there are limits. It's time we respected those limits. Civic sense. We need to learn it.

11 comments:

Half-Light said...

Your forgetting those little kids are barely Indian, so its not fair to expect Indian Hospitality from them right?

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

We indians are a noisy and smelly people. We dont respect either ears or noses :D

Unknown said...

Go to any railway station if the above comment appears even a little obscure

Manu said...

thats being a bit harsh i say.. i see a few deleted comments.. i would have been interesting to read them...
what we lack in civic sense we offset by our 'adjust' mentality..
all you had to do was to as the kid to shut up..
i think thats the problem with us... indians never take the initiative to get things done.. we never raisea voice where it is necessary no matter how trying it is..

Vikram said...

Hmmm.. I could have raised my voice. Only someone else did it for me. But you're right. We Indians tolerate way too much way too quietly.

P.S. The comments were NOT removed by me. I guess the person who wrote it didn't want me to read it.

Vikram said...

The whole point of the article is that we need to learn a bit more civic sense. Our hospitality should not be misused.

srinaik2020 said...

Right Then.

We got blasted by conductor on our trip to wonderLa!

Vikram said...

You're an Indian, right? :D

Unknown said...

those were my comments... sorry to let all you hopefuls and 'optimists' there... was just a typo :P