Garfield!!!

Calvin and Hobbes!!!

Sunday, November 23, 2008

What we say (but actually mean)

Have I written on this topic before? Ah! Who cares? (It's not like anyone wants to read such stuff anyway :D)
I recently read an article which said that people often don't say what they mean. It got me thinking. I realised that we (by this I mean people in general - with a few exceptions, of course) almost always say things that ought to be said. We say things that more often than not, hide the real truth. For example: Some really irritating person you're trying your absolute hardest to avoid comes up to you and says "Will you come to the party I've arranged at my house friday night?". You really can't tell him/her that you wouldn't be caught dead at that oh-so-lame "party". So what do you do? You lie through your teeth. What I've heard most often is this: "I'll really try my best to make it. I've got something else planned but I'll see if I can cancel it. I'll call you OK?". The poor fellow doesn't realise that you'd probably clean the neighbourhood drains to escape. There. Crisis solved. The person in question feels happy, you feel happy. End of story.
Unfortunately, we seem to have taken white lies like these a little too far. The other day, I was meeting up with a group of friends. A couple of them were late. (as usual) One of us called them up and asked how long would they take to arrive. "Defi, ten more minutes" was the reply. We waited. The ten minute mark came and went. A good fifty minutes later these two arrived and with a sheepish expression, told us how bad the traffic was. "Then why did you lie about the time", I asked. "Dunno, just thought it was a time-pass question". Time-pass indeed.
The moral of this story? We lie for anything and everything today. "Ten" minutes is more like an hour and "I'll try" is most definitely a NO. Personally, I'd prefer it if we could stop speaking in riddles. Honestly.

5 comments:

Amrut said...

would you prefer some1 spitting on ur face n sayin "Vikram you suck!", or hear a simple "i'm not free this weekend,i'l try though" ??

Vikram said...

That's not what I mean. Just say "I can't come" or a "No". Simple. Don't add the "I'll try though"...

Bhargav said...

Problem is, people are too judgemental. Say it straight and you're the bad guy!

Unknown said...

I agree... People are too caught up being the nice guys that they start bordering on pretending and dishonesty. If people are judgemental, its their loss.

Vikram said...

Seriously. I don't know why people take things so personally.